Edmonton WALK for ALS

SAVE THE DATE: JUNE 9, 2018

19092780_1555448787807874_1712032700240399346_o.jpg

BREAKING RECORDS AT THE 17TH ANNUAL EDMONTON WALK FOR ALS

Edmonton hosted its 17th annual WALK for ALS on June 10 in William Hawrelak Park. A record-breaking $400,000 and counting was raised for the ALS Society of Alberta, and over 1,100 people attended to celebrate the lives of those who have been affected by ALS.

The Edmonton WALK for ALS planning committee worked with a team of volunteers to pull together a successful fundraising event that channeled hope for those within the ALS community. Of funds raised, 60 per cent will be allocated to client support services within the province, such as the Equipment Loan Program, home visits, support groups and support for youth. The remaining 40 per cent are allocated to national ALS research.

Each year, the Edmonton WALK for ALS planning committee selects an Ambassador to show the public what it is like to live with the disease. The Edmonton WALK for ALS was proud to introduce Fred Gillis as this year’s Ambassador.

“I am a law enforcement officer with the RCMP and for the past 29 years I have worked in various locations across Canada. I am but one of the ‘Many Faces of ALS,’” said Fred. “The WALK is all about Canadians helping Canadians.”

The ALS Society of Alberta would like to thank Fred Gillis, Emcee Tim Spelliscy, and all sponsors, volunteers and participants that made this event so successful.