Liberal MP Mauril Bélanger to be the Spokesperson for the 2016 WALK for ALS

Mauril Bélanger, Liberal Member of Parliament (MP) for Ottawa-Vanier, has taken on the role of National Honourary Spokesperson for the WALK for ALS, a national fundraising event hosted by the provincial ALS societies across Canada. Bélanger will help to raise awareness, channel hope and raise funds for imperative client support services in each province and ALS research across Canada.

“I am pleased to be the National Honorary Spokesperson for the WALK for ALS, to draw attention to the ALS cause and to have the opportunity to make a difference,” said
Bélanger. “I call on everyone to join me and to participate in a WALK in their community, so that support for people with ALS is available today, and critical research is funded providing hope for the future.”

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is a rapidly progressive and always fatal neurodegenerative disease.
Bélanger was diagnosed with ALS in November of 2015, shortly after being elected as the MP for Ottawa-Vanier. Although ALS has taken away his ability to speak, it has not taken his commitment or passion for helping others.

In 2015, the Alberta WALKs for ALS raised over $1,007,030. Nationally, the 2016 WALK for ALS hopes to raise $4 million. Of funds raised, 60 per cent are allocated toward client support services in the hosting province. In Alberta, this includes home visits, the equipment loan program, support groups, referrals, and support for children through the Support for Champions program. The remaining 40 per cent fund the ALS Canada Research Program, allowing for investments in the most promising research across the country.

To learn more about the WALK for ALS, to donate or to register, please visit
www.walkforals.ca