Betty's Run for ALS
The 20th Annual Betty's Run for ALS raised over $400,000!
Betty's Run for ALS celebrates, promotes and channels hope for those affected with ALS, their families and their friends.
In 1996, Calgarian Betty Norman was diagnosed with ALS. Her year-long physical and emotional battle with this terrible disease inspired her friends and family to organize an annual fundraiser. Betty's Run for ALS has grown steadily to become one of the largest ALS fundraisers in Canada.
Over the past 20 years, Betty's Run has raised more than $6.5 million due to the generous support of donors and participants. Of funds raised, 60 per cent stay in Alberta to support those currently living with ALS through equipment and client services. The remaining 40 per cent of funds support ongoing research into identifying the cause and cure for this devastating disease. This year we are inviting our past 20 years of "Betty's Run family" back, along with new friends to continue inspiring care, hope and community.
Who is Betty?
Betty Norman was a very active 58-year-old Calgary woman when she was diagnosed with ALS in August of 1996. Betty's courage and determination to make a difference that year was the driving force behind the June 1997 "This One's for Betty" walk/run. Sadly, Betty passed away in her home within 11 months of her diagnosis and two weeks after the event that she inspired took place.
Determined to continue Betty's unwavering spirit, the organizing committee unanimously decided to hold an event every year in Betty's memory and honour. They also wanted to pay tribute to the many other Albertans currently living with, or who have lived with ALS. This is how the annual Betty's Run for ALS was born.
Race Package Pick-up
Avoid the lines on race day and pick up your race package ahead of time. If you are a team captain, please be advised that you are required to pick up the packages/t-shirts for your entire team. If you need to make alternative arrangements, contact the Society at 403-228-3857.
When: Friday, June 10 - Noon - 5 p.m.
Saturday, June 11 - Noon - 5 p.m.
Where: Eau Claire Market
Centre Court (by escalator)
200 Barclay Parade SW, Calgary
Race Day Information
You may access North Glenmore Park via Crowchild Trail or 37 Street SW.
Parking is available:
- Throughout North Glenmore Park
- Along 66 Avenue (south side of street only)
- Weaselhead Parking Lot (37 St & 66 Ave)
- Lakeview Shopping Centre
Accessible Parking - available adjacent to the event area (Parking Lot A). Watch for signs.
Betty's Run shuttle buses will be circulating from the Lakeview Shopping Centre, along 66 Ave, to Weaselhead parking lot (37 St & 66 Ave) and through North Glenmore Park, to bring you from your car to the event area.
Car: If you are driving, please park in the Lakeview Shopping Centre and catch the convenient Betty's Run for ALS shuttle to North Glenmore Park.
Bus/C-Train: There is only one way to get to North Glenmore Park via public transit on Sunday, June 12:
- Take C-train to Chinook Station (Note: C-train runs every 15 minutes on Sunday)
- Transfer to Route 47 bus (Lakeview/Chinook Station) (Note: # 47 runs every half hour and the first bus leaves Chinook C-train station at 8:48 a.m. arriving at Lakeview S.C. at 8:58 a.m.) and then catch the Betty's Run bus down to the site.
Each year, the Betty's Run for ALS Committee selects an Ambassador, who is someone that is currently living with ALS. The Ambassador courageously shares their story with the public to show what it is like to live with the disease.
The ALS Society of Alberta is so proud to introduce Erin Serack as the 2016 Betty's Run for ALS Ambassador. See her story below.
- Collect the pledge money from your sponsors
- Deposit all pledge money before race day at any Bank of Montreal (BMO) in Alberta
- Bring your pledge sheet with you when you pick up your rack package to be eligible for awards and prizes
Please ensure that the Bank of Montreal teller stamps your pledge sheet. Attach your BMO deposit reciept(s) to your pledge sheet and bring your pledge sheet with you to Betty's Run. Pledges can be accepted on race day at the Canoe Club from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.
Commemorative plaques will be awarded to the group/team with the highest collective total of pledges, as well as top fundraising individuals. Team pledges must be submitted collectively no later than 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, June 12 at the Canoe Club. Any pledges received outside of that group submission cannot be included for this award.